Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Quiet Time Reflections

The people have spoken...they want a new post.  I apologize for not posting these past two weeks, however, I have been extremely ill for those two weeks.  I had hoped to have a guest post from Jerry Lee, but he has been traveling and busy with work.  Good news, I am better and back to blogging for you.  Who knows, I might even get a little bit CrAzY and post two times this week.

I just started a new 40 day reading plan during my quiet time.  I found this plan on biblegateway.org and was drawn to it since it was titled "40 Day Reading Plan for Personal Growth".  I have been struggling recently with disciplining myself to have a consistent quiet time and also feeling as though my relationship with Christ was slipping.  However, after a very positive experience at church on Sunday, I decided to renew my self-discipline (which is a fruit of the Spirit) and reinvigorate my relationship with Christ.

Today (Day 2) the reading came from James 1:1-12.  I figured that this was a good length of Scripture that I would be able to get some meat out of.  However, God had another plan for me this morning - I basically parked myself on verses 2-4.

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

I've read the book of James several times, so this was not new information.  However, disliking trials and tests of faith and generally not liking to even think on them, I usually breeze past this bit and get on with the "good stuff".  Yet, today God called me to exactly these verses to reflect on what I've been through in the past 2 years.  It was not the trials themselves, but more of the promise in these verses (go on, read it again...there's a promise there) and what my response so often SHOULD have been but was not.

Here are the notes that I wrote in my journal:

The purpose of trials and testing of my faith is to produce steadfastness - to be more like God (who is the epitome of steadfastness), being perfect, complete, and lacking in nothing.
 - This is a life-long process, which means trials and tests of faith are also life-long.  (I don't know if you are like me, but I often forget that perfection will not come in this lifetime, but is a process that I will continue going through until I am called to heaven - and that drives me crazy sometimes.)
- Facing trials and tests of faith does not necessarily mean that God is punishing me.  Although, sin does have consequences, and sometimes the trials I face are a result of my sin.
* Let the testing produce steadfastness and let it (steadfastness) have its full effect.
   - I often fight back against the trial or try to alleviate the discomfort of the testing and do not allow it to produce its full fruits and have its full effect in my life.

I have a choice when faced with a trial, I can run from God and be angry with Him (1 Peter 4:12) or I can cling even closer to God and let the trial produce steadfastness and refine my faith (1 Peter 1:7).
- Just as trials in marriage can lead one to take the "easy" way out (divorce), it can also produce a stronger bond and deeper love if you stick together and see it through side by side.  Trials and tests of faith do the same thing for your relationship with Christ.  This is what covenant comes down to - sticking out for better, for worse, side by side.  We have covenant first and foremost with Christ, and also with our husbands/wives.


The promise is that God will use the trials and tests of faith in our lives to produce steadfastness, which serves to perfect us, complete us, and fulfill us until we are lacking in nothing.  So next time a trial comes along, and it probably won't be long if you are human, don't try to run from it or find a way to tolerate it with feeling the least amount of discomfort possible, but embrace it and embrace your Lord, and allow Him to have His way in your life and bring about the steadfastness that He desires to cultivate in you through this process.  I'm right there with ya!

Grace and peace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment